Saturday, June 18, 2016

Star Wars Gaming’s Future’s So Bright It’s Gotta Wear Shades

And by "shades," I mean, of course, VR goggles (get it?)...anyway, I don't think anyone can deny Star Wars gaming is headed in an extremely promising direction, with at least three years' worth of interesting titles on the way, but exactly what kinds of games should we be expecting? Well, I'm guessing Battlefront 2 (or whatever they call it) will just be the game that Battlefront should have been, i.e. it'll be a sharp-looking first person shooter with a compelling Star Wars campaign as well as VR and multiplayer options; the other two action/adventure games, however, are, in my opinion, the gooey center around which the excitement for the future of Star Wars gaming revolves. We know so precious little about these to-be-determined titles that, at this point anyway, the sky's the limit as far as expectations go. So, since speculation is kinda my bag (baby!), I'm going to go over three upcoming Star Wars games and discuss what I'd love to see come to life...read on to see if you smell what I'm steppin' in...


Battlefront 2
Okay, so I know I already basically explained what I think the sequel to Battlefront is going to be, so, instead of reiterating it, I'm going to talk about what I'd like to see in a future Star Wars first person shooter:  Destiny & the Division meets Battlefront. To be completely honest, I'm thinking mainly of a Star Wars version of Destiny, but with the Division's cover mechanic because, well, I like cover mechanics...anyway, imagine a story like this:  the fledgling New Republic has started to send special forces units (i.e. Guardians) to clean up worlds that were either Imperial strongholds, cartel hot spots, or worlds devastated and left mostly baron like Anoat (or maybe this is the game that brings the Rakghouls back to Taris!). You could run intel missions, seek and destroys, resource collections, trade route disruptions, then get your fireteam together and take out gang leaders, overthrow ex-Imperial dictators, or kill primitive overlords. It would be great fun. I know Destiny's old hat to a lot of people, but I still enjoy it, and I can only imagine how having a Star Wars backdrop would make it all the more outstanding.

Respawn Game
I want this to be a Knights of the Old Republic remake. I want it to be that in the worst way. If it's not, it better be something that takes place during the prequel era, though, or I'm going to be extremely suspicious of a lightsaber fight taking place in another era...I'll withhold judgement until I know for sure, of course, but I think there are definitely already more than enough leftover Jedi in canon during the Rebellion era as it is, we don't really need any more...let's get back to the matter at hand, though, and join together in hoping this a KotOR remake. Would I rather Bioware get a chance to remake their own game? Yes. Will I be upset that they let Respawn do it instead? No, not at all. Bioware is busy maintaining one of the few things to survive the Disney purge, so they probably have enough on their plate (not to mention they do make other games). But, as I've said before, the Old Republic era is the most fertile ground right now for Star Wars storytelling. There's a great base laid with Legends and the few canon callbacks that exist, so a gaming company like Respawn, that's essentially responsible for the overwhelmingly successful Call of Duty franchise, should have no trouble piecing together a compelling story tied to a great game...about Reven...BOOM!

Visceral Game
I think it's fairly obvious that this is a Rebellion-era game (which I would think makes it less likely that the Respawn game would be Rebellion-era as well since, counting Battlefront, that would make all the games firmly planted in that era), but is it the Han Solo game that's been long rumored? I don't think so...I love Han Solo, and can honestly say that I can't get enough of him, but with a comic series going on now, and a movie coming out in two years, I don't see them adding action game star to his repertoire, not at this point, anyway. So who's the game about? Someone we don't know, of course...maybe someone we meet in Rogue One that gets his story elaborated on, but I doubt it...though I wouldn't be surprised if some of the elements from Rogue One, such as the different Stormtroopers and vehicles, show up in this game. Does that mean it's a game that centers around a member of the Rebellion? No, I don't think so. In fact, I imagine he'll be an unaffiliated character that you can either choose a faction to align with, or one that stays neutral throughout (which I would prefer). Whatever the case, though, I'm really looking forward to this game because I've been jonesing for an immersive, one-player Star Wars game for years and I think this is going to fit the bill perfectly.

Alright, guys and gals, what do you think? What kinds of games should we be anticipating over the next few years? Would you be down for a Destiny-style Star Wars game, or would you rather Battlefront stay the one-dimensional multiplayer shooter it is now? (That's a terribly one-sided question, feel free to add your own third option.) Do you think we'll get more games like KotOR where players have the ability to change the story, or will story-driven Star Wars games be linear experiences to make sure everyone gets the same story? Is the Visceral game footage a trick and it's actually going to be the Han Solo game everyone's been saying it's going to be? Is Star Wars The Old Republic the last traditional Star Wars MMORPG we'll ever see, or is another such game possibly on the horizon? Roll those questions over in your noggin and hit me up in the comments so we can keep the topic going; otherwise, and I'll see you when I see you, and, if I don't see you, may the Force be with you...

No comments:

Post a Comment