Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Bringing a gun to a sword fight, Or: Check out my new weapon, weapon of choice...

Jenmarie is at it again, and picked a pretty interesting topic that I hadn't ever really thought about before:  what is your Star Wars weapon of choice? At first blush, this seems like a no-brainer, right? Just pick lightsaber and talk about how cool it would be to deflect blaster bolts and slice off body parts and badda bing badda boom you've got yourself a nice post...well, turns out, if I'm being honest with myself, it's not that simple, and, as I'm sure you've noticed, the main image for this post is indeed not a lightsaber, but a classic DH-17 blaster, but is that my weapon of choice? I guess you'll have to read on to find out...


And survey says *drumroll* "sort of." What? Boo. Clickbait. Boo. I know, I know, I'm getting tricky like that...I guess I'm just becoming more conniving in my old age...anyway, yes, my weapon of choice would be a DH-17, two of them, actually, but we'll get to that later; I said "sort of" because my alternate weapon of choice would be a starfighter...specifically a V-wing:

I chose a V-wing first and foremost because it's awesome:  it combines the sleek style of an A-wing with the S-foils of an X-wing along with the slightest hint of TIE wing panels. Plus, I imagine I'd be mostly a loner, Dottie, a rebel (in the traditional sense, not necessarily a member of the Rebellion), so I wouldn't need a cargo ship for crew and whatnot, I'd take the speed, maneuverability, and firepower of the V-wing instead. So that's weapon number one:  air superiority. You've got to be able to fight wherever, whenever, and I think my V-wing would allow me to do that in spades.

Now, as for my ground protection, as I mentioned, I'd have two DH-17s. Why two? Because two is better than one, duh...seriously, though, I've always been a fan of dual-wielding in video games and such, so I think I'd roll with it. Plus it looks rad. I'd have them always at the ready in a custom shoulder holster so I could cross arms and bring them to bear at a moment's notice. I think I'd customize mine by removing the scopes so they'd be less bulky, and I'd get one with the standard silver tapered barrel, and one in all black. I'd call the black one "Righty" and the silver one "Lefty," and I'd obviously wear them on the opposite sides from their namesakes so that I'd grab them with the correspondingly correct hand. I would be a force to be reckoned with, let me tell you...

So, what did you mean by not picking a lightsaber if you're being honest with yourself or whatever, you ask? Well, I've always been the kind of guy who was a "Jack of all trades, master of none." As such, I'm a firm believer in the notion that "you can do anything you set your mind to." The caveat being that I think you can do anything, not necessarily be good at anything. There are a lot of things I can do that I am not now, nor will I ever be, good at, and I think the same would apply to being able to use the Force. I am not gifted, and the ability to use the Force is a gift that I just don't imagine I would possess (kind of a downer, I know, but I'm okay with it). Instead, I would just get really good at shooting pistols (something I am fairly good at in real life, considering how seldom I actually do it), and flying my V-wing (something I unfortunately can't do in real life, but I am a pretty good driver, so I'm making a logical leap and assuming I'd be a good pilot). I'm so practical, right? Okay, you're thinking boring, fair enough...I'm a blast at parties though...

There you have it:  I would be a gun-toting space jockey in a galaxy far, far away. If anyone wants to be my wingman, I'll be taking applications, just understand that, like I said, I'm a loner, so I'm liable to leave you high and dry...just being honest...anyway, once you're done picturing me as a long-haired, scruffy-looking outlaw, definitely head over to Anakin and His Angel and see what she and other Star Wars fans have grabbed as their weapon of choice, and, if you feel so inclined, add your own weapon of choice in the comments below. Or, if you have your own blog space, definitely get on board the ComLINKS train because it's a great ride every month...and, well, you know the drill, until next time, may the Force be with you...

1 comment:

  1. Two guns at once, huh? That's the Mandalorian way, I like it!

    I think most people would choose a lightsaber as their weapon of choice but I appreciate your honesty in why you wouldn't. It totally makes sense to opt for a different weapon if you don't think your skills would coincide with a particular weapon very well.

    As always, thanks for participating in Star Wars ComLINKS!

    ReplyDelete